jeepers creepers, time sure is flying!
this week was our 24/7 week of prayer. We all took one hour shifts in a room set aside for prayer, often gettign up in the middle of the night to go take our turn. It was pretty nifty, by the end of the week the walls were covered with prayer requests and such. I don't think i've ever spent this much time in prayer before, it was a pretty neat experience.
this week was full of such neat experiences. on tuesday we went to downtown victoria andhung out with some homeless people. we took the lost and found things from camp Qwanoes that had remained unclaimed and we thought would be useful, and made a bunch of sandwhiches. then, when we say somebody panhandling, we sat down and talked. there were a few people under various influences, but most of them were just really glad to shoot the breeze, share their stories, and hang out. one woman, who we found after we had wandered away from the downtown area and were just turning to go back via a smaller street, was especially memorable. Her name is Christine. on this particular day she was waiting for her husband to be released from prison. the details remain vague, but she told us some of her story, and shared that she had been praying for a jacket for her husband, as all he would have when he got out of prison is a tshirt, and they would be sleeping on the streets. it was with great joy that we got to share our stuff with her, and it brought a huge smile to her face. It was such a cool situation, that we just happened to wander that far from down town, and I just happened to have the things she needed in my bag. God's hand was very evident.
on wednesday, I went to a senior's home that specializes in alzhiemers patient care. It was fantastic! Ria, woman in her nineties, loved my hairy arms and making puzzles. she frequently lapsed into dutch and would forget i couldnt speak it. she had a lovely singing voice and a very funny laugh, and we enjoyed a nice walk and lots of talking, although i didn't understand most of what she said. When she asked how old I was, she said that was okay, she could wait for me. I'm going to go ahead and hope she doesnt remember me too vividly the next time i visit!
other than praying and visiting people who dont get many visitors (be they on the streets in or a nursing home), I have been writing essays, teaching youth group (we went bowling this week) and helping in Sunday School. Next week I will be in a church ministry class, which i am told is really good. if anybody reads these things, then they can pray that i will continue to seek God and grow and learn. Kaleo can be pretty intense, and I want to make sure that my focus remains in the right places. :)
until next time kids, take care.
-rob
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment